From: daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't see /dev/hda1,2,3 but I know they exist...
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 07:01:57
1 On 19 February 2010 14:49, James Homuth <james@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > I performed a bit of an update on my laptop a day or two ago, and after
3 > reboot, I lost the ability to do anything with /dev/hda*.
4 > But, booting to
5 > an install CD I burned for diagnostic purposes, it sees them just fine.
6
7 Kernel versions of native install and Live CD?
8
9 I susupect Hung's suggestion may be the answer. AFAIK grub is boot
10 strapping before the kernel, and so the devices can be named different
11 from BIOS and the install. I had a similar strange problem where I
12 needed symlinks for hd devices to sd devices or vice versa with an
13 older kernel and newer hardware (and I think some BIOS tweaks). [I'm
14 not recommending people to symlink devices, since that seems like a
15 bad way to do things, but I'm willing to be stupid for myself in cases
16 of need.]
17
18 ~daid