From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT]advice for a wireless router
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 22:33:05
1 Dan Farrell ha scritto:
2 > On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 22:26:52 +0100
3 > "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> So I'm planning to buy a wireless router to share my current DSL*
6 >> connection. Since my knowledge on wireless is practically none (I
7 >> never owned a notebook since 386 days), I'd like to hear what
8 >> Gentooers have to say on how to choose it.
9 >
10 > I built my own router and put an Atheros WiFi card in it, and
11 > performance has been great. I run WPA security - hostapd on the
12 > router, wpa_supplicant on my clients. I'm very happy with the
13 > performance.
14
15 Good to know. I frankly have never set up a router, let alone a wireless
16 one, so I hope you can let me know some good link on howtos...
17
18 > It is my understanding that this is generally accepted to be faster
19 > than an integrated router/wifi package.
20
21 Why?
22
23 > I like it because you have a
24 > very fine grained control over routing, firewall, and the like. Yes, I
25 > highly recommend this.
26
27 Keep in mind I basically just need something that does a DHCP connection
28 wireless. Like having a lot of invisible ethernet cables dangling in the
29 air. I do not need anything else. I'm *extremly ignorant* about anything
30 wireless, so let me know where to look for setting up something like that.
31
32 (However I'm thinking that I'd like something portable, since in 15
33 months from now I'll be out of this city...)
34
35 > I'm so jealous. I was just lamenting the other day that
36 > whereas I feel that we should have fiber all over the place by now, I
37 > feel like internet access prices are crazy. For example, right now
38 > from home on a residential line I only get 384Kb upload, but they
39 > happily allow me 6Mb down. However, all the business plans at the same
40 > price offer less speeds. WTF? Of course, the speed is guaranteed, but
41 > still... I really wish we had embraced fiber here in America. We'rea
42 > ll still running stupid phone lines (dsl) or coax. (cable) for high
43 > speed. I yearn for a T3 slice -- hell, I'd drool over a bonded, or
44 > even a single, T1. Not that you're getting those speeds, but I bet you
45 > can bump your bandwith without too much $$ and without worrying about
46 > capping out at 8Mb or so (about the max of cable round here).
47
48 Well, here in Italy fiber was brought just by one young telco, FastWeb,
49 that also does DSL. Most Internet users in Italy still use plain DSL at
50 crazy prices (about 100% more than in the rest of Europe, even if things
51 are getting less crazy), and fiber is *damn costly* (about 3-4x than
52 DSL) -however, FastWeb guarantees a more reliable service than other
53 providers. Moreover fiber coverage is very poor (almost only major
54 cities have it, not every major city has it, and even in cities coverage
55 is patchy -I live in *one* of the zones in my city that has it, but a
56 few hunderd meters away, no fiber!). FastWeb was planning for bringing
57 fiber almost everywhere DSL is available, but it has economical troubles
58 now, so new fiber coverage has halted. I just had luck, and I wanted to
59 spend money on a good, reliable provider instead than on the extremly
60 unreliable DSL Italian providers.
61
62 m.
63 --