From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Current state of the Gentoo installation process
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 04:30:39
1 > > Hello, I installed Gentoo on my four systems a while ago and I've just
2 > > acquired a couple of new-to-me P3-500's. I'd like to install Gentoo
3 > > on these new systems but I'm a little confused by the changes made to
4 > > the installation process recently. I've never done anything but a
5 > > stage 1 installation, but I remember reading that those instructions
6 > > were removed from the installation documentation, and now I see a GUI
7 > > and a command line installer on the latest LiveCD. What is currently
8 > > the best installation method if I'm in the stage 1 mindset?
9 > >
10 > > - Grant
13 > Stage3 offers everything that a Stage1 does, it's just faster.
14 > Especially on those 500 Mhz systems, I'd use the Stage3. If you really
15 > must build every package by hand, use the Stage3 install, and then do
16 > a 'emerge -e system'. This will cause it to rebuild every package. On
17 > those systems though, unless you're using distcc or a cross-compiler
18 > on a faster system, stick with the Stage3 install so you don't spend
19 > 24+ hours bootstrapping.
20 >
21 > Mike
22
23 That sounds pretty good to me. So if I do a stage 3 install as per
24 the current Gentoo docs plus 'emerge -e system' I will end up with the
25 same thing that I did with a stage 1 install? I remember thinking
26 that I was getting a deeper level of optimization by starting with
27 stage 1. I can't remember the details anymore though.
28
29 - Grant
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list