From: Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: DVD Movie backups
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 12:36:29
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > You also don't have the hardware to create them. CSS keys are stored on a
4 > separate area of the disc, an area that is not available on DVD-Rs,
5 > which is why yo cannot copy a CSS-encrypted DVD with dd, it copies the
6 > encrypted data but not the decryption keys.
7
8 This is not really correct....
9
10 The related area is available and writable on DVD-Rs.
11
12 DVD-Rs have been introduced in September 1997. You coul only buy them with an
13 OK from the Pioneer boss. In February 1998, I received a sample drive for
14 cdrecord development that I had to bring back to the Pioneer CeBIT booth in
15 March....
16
17 At CeBIT-2001 a third generation of DVD-Rs was introduced. This third
18 generation introduced a quite different wavelength. It is sold since autumn
19 2001 and the media delivered for these drives is prerecorded at the place where
20 the CSS key is expected.
21
22 If you have good connections to a media manufacturer to get the media before
23 the pre-recording starts and if you have good connections to a drive
24 manufacturer that produces drives with special firmware for the prerecording,
25 you can do ;-)
26
27 Jörg
30 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin