From: Mike Huber <michael.huber@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 64bit vs 32bit
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 05:32:33
1 My understanding is that the major advantage of the 64-bit processors
2 is for memory address space (>4Gigs of virtual memory space without
3 PAE, technically 48 bits of address space, which is something like
4 128Terrabytes of addressable memory).
5
6 There must be some advantage associated with being able to hold two
7 long ints in one register (or some such relationship there). Anyone
8 know detailed explanations for situations where 64-bit is more/less
9 beneficial and why?
10
11 --Mike
12