From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux viruses
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 01:46:31
1 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 8:24 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Questions. Can a virus infect the OS when running on Linux through
4 >> java/javascript/flash? Or would the infection at the least be limited
5 >> to that user?
6 > I think how they typically work, on any OS, is they exploit a bug in
7 > the browser (or a browser plug-in) to run code on your local machine,
8 > and then that code exploits the operating system in order to get
9 > root-level privileges. After it has that, the possibilities are
10 > endless...
11 >
12 > There's nothing special about Linux that would make that scenario play
13 > out any better than it does on Windows, but in reality the number of
14 > exploits found for Windows has been greater, and the number of Linux
15 > web browser users is far fewer, so it's pretty rare to see web pages
16 > that target Linux exploits (but I do read about them from time to
17 > time).
18 >
19 > I personally use Firefox with RequestPolicy, NoScript and Adblock
20 > Plus. That still won't protect me from a bug in Firefox itself. I
21 > suppose if I really wanted to be paranoid I would run it in a virtual
22 > machine (but, hey, those can be exploited, too). At some point, you
23 > have to just go with it and hope for the best. Either that or turn off
24 > the computer. :)
27 That's my thinking to but also see my reply to Walter. I use Linux for
28 several reasons and security is one of them. Linux is more security
29 oriented and faster with fixes be it a browser or some other package.
30 Gentoo works with upstream to get serious issues fixed pretty fast.
33 >> How is html5 going to affect this? Better or worse?
34 > HTML5 is already here and you're probably already using it. :) The
35 > biggest benefit to using "anything but Flash" is the idea that the
36 > code is not in Adobe's hands and that the community would identify and
37 > fix bugs sooner. But that's not guaranteed to be the case.
38 >
39 > A web browser is perhaps the most complicated piece of software most
40 > of us will ever run on our computers, and there's a lot of room for
41 > mistakes to happen in those millions of lines of code. Anything can
42 > happen.
43 >
44 > .
47 I have opted in for html5 on youtube. I think I also have a plugin that
48 enables html5 as well when available. I have one for https as well.
49 Given this NSA mess, may help a little anyway. O_O
50
51 Dale
52
56 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!