From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - Why won't my computers use their own DNS servers?
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 14:50:17
1 Hi,
2
3 On Mon, 14 May 2007 09:18:02 -0500 Michael Sullivan
4 <michael@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > On my network I have two computers, camille.espersunited.com
7 > (70.234.122.250) and catherine.espersunited.com (70.234.122.251).
8 > Each of these two computers runs its own local DNS server. They do
9 > this to speed up internet access.; at least they used to. Now I find
10 > that internet access is slow and that they are trying to use each
11 > other's DNS server, which is not what I want.
12
13 According to resolv.conf(5) you can by default only configure 3 (!)
14 name servers instead of the four you have.
15
16 Also, it doesn't make sense to configure a nameserver to return its own
17 host name, so I would consider your test case being invalid.
18
19 The interesting question would be which name server answers for the case
20 that you query some other host name (also since you said what you want
21 those servers to do is caching, not authoritative name services).
22
23 Since those are public IPs, I happened to positively check for the
24 existence of a firewall. Its configuration regarding DNS queries (UDP
25 _and_ -- always forgotten -- TCP port 53) would be interesting, esp.
26 the configured allowed IP ranges for source and destination.
27
28 -hwh
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list