From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Digest verification failed:
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2016 07:57:29
1 On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 10:03:05 -0500, »Q« wrote:
2 > > I tried a few with no joy. As it appeared to be only the 9999 ebuild
3 > > causing the problem, I deleted the file and removed the corresponding
4 > > line from the Manifest.
5 >
6 > I tried a few with no joy, too, and now I've done as you suggest.
7 > Thanks for that -- I'd thought portage would complain if I did that.
8
9 It complains if you add or remove files, but by removing both the file
10 and its reference n the Manifest, everything stays consistent. Whether
11 being able to do that is a convenience or a security risk is a matter of
12 preference, but until Manifests are signed it is doable.
13
14 > I'm one of the nuts who has USE="-*", and I've finally hit a situation
15 > where it causes considerable headaches;
16
17 It was only a matter of time...
18
19 > plasma 5 requires a lot of
20 > per-package USE stuff, all handled in the profile thanks to careful
21 > work from the devs. Instead of trying to tackle it package-by-package,
22 > for now I've just copied the profile's package.use to
23 > my /etc/portage/package-use. I think this will be too much for me to
24 > maintain as plasma 5 and the profile change, so when I get some time
25 > I'll be ditching USE="-*" in order to rely on the profile. My fellow
26 > USE="-*" loonies who will have to move to plasma 5 might want to
27 > consider ditching USE="-*" first.
28
29 So you're using the supplied wheels now instead of removing them and
30 trying to reinvent your own square ones now? ;-)
34 Neil Bothwick
35
36 It's not a bug, it's tradition!