From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive?
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2016 05:32:08
1 On Monday 05 Sep 2016 10:42:34 Hans wrote:
2 > On 01/09/16 16:04, gevisz wrote:
3 > > I have bought an external 5TB Western Digital hard drive
4 > > that I am going to use mainly for backing up some files
5 > > in my home directory and carrying a very big files, for
6 > > example a virtual machine image file, from one computer
7 > > to another. This hard drive is preformatted with NTFS.
8 > > Now, I am going to format it with ext4 which probably
9 > > will take a lot of time taking into account that it is
10 > > going to be done via USB connection. So, before formatting
11 > > this hard drive I would like to know if it is still
12 > > advisable to partition big hard drives into smaller
13 > > logical ones.
14 > >
15 > > For about 20 last years, following an advice of my older
16 > > colleague, I always partitioned all my hard drives into
17 > > the smaller logical ones and do very well know all
18 > > disadvantages of doing so. :)
19 > >
20 > > But what are disadvantages of not partitioning a big
21 > > hard drive into smaller logical ones?
22 > >
23 > > Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive
24 > > into smaller logical ones and why?
25 >
26 > I use 2TB USB drive with one EXT4 partition. Took about 30 seconds to
27 > format connected to a USB2 port. Testing the drive with dd and copying
28 > files to the drive is very slow. Don't touch "Green Drives". They die
29 > like flies.
30
31 Did you get the logical and physical sector aligned when you partitioned them?
32 (if not sure, google for 4k sector drives). All recent versions of
33 fdisk/gdisk/parted and friends will align them by default.
34
35 How did you test it with dd and how are you copying files?
36
37 How slow is slow in this case?
40 Regards,
41 Mick