From: Jonas de Buhr <jonas.de.buhr@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] OT: change and improvement (was: Is grub2 stable and who uses it?)
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 08:21:28
1 Am Thu, 6 Oct 2011 00:18:49 +0100
2 schrieb Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>:
3
4 > On Wednesday 05 October 2011 17:47:21 Jonas de Buhr wrote:
5 >
6 > > sometimes things indeed need to change in order to improve.
7 >
8 > I remember things being improved. While I was in my 50s I was
9 > continually faced with youngsters' ideas for improving the company's
10 > methods. Stupid, every one. When challenged, they couldn't say how
11 > their proposed new "solutions" would lead to specified gains by
12 > anybody, but the changes were forced through anyway. This isn't
13 > get-up-and-go; it's I've-got-to-make-my- mark.
14
15 i never said change equals improvement or change for the sake of change
16 is a good thing. and i pointed out that i cannot judge this for grub2
17 since i don't know it.
18 but the reverse is true too - rejecting every change just because its
19 not "how we always did it" potentially keeps you from making important
20 development.
21
22 most of the "oh it's so weird"-whining often comes from just not being
23 used to it. flip your door lock upside down - you'll hate it with
24 passion for a week and then you won't even notice. flip it again and
25 the process will repeat.
26
27 at your age you should be able to look at things with a little more
28 distance and insight instead of ripping statements out of context and
29 insulting people.
30
31 that said, even without context, that statement is still true. you just
32 derived wrong statements from it using flawed logic.
33
34 /jonas