From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] emerge --depclean and fftw
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 11:12:23
1 Hi,
2
3 I am trying to keep my new install nice and clean, nothing useless
4 lurking around. I run emerge -p --depclean world on occasion and I
5 finally got this one:
6
7 > >>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:
8 >
9 > sci-libs/fftw
10 > selected: 3.0.1-r2
11 > protected: none
12 > omitted: none
13 >
14 > >>> 'Selected' packages are slated for removal.
15 > >>> 'Protected' and 'omitted' packages will not be removed.
16 >
17 > Packages installed: 814
18 > Packages in world: 228
19 > Packages in system: 56
20 > Unique package names: 814
21 > Required packages: 813
22 > Number to remove: 1
23 > root@smoker / #
24
25 So I did a little research, to make sure it was really not used by
26 anything. This is what I got:
27
28 > root@smoker / # equery depends fftw
29 > [ Searching for packages depending on fftw... ]
30 > media-libs/libsamplerate-0.1.2
31 > root@smoker / # equery depends libsamplerate
32 > [ Searching for packages depending on libsamplerate... ]
33 > media-sound/audacious-1.1.2-r1
34 > media-libs/akode-2.0.1
35 > app-cdr/k3b-0.12.17
36 > root@smoker / #
37
38 So it seems libsamplerate needs fftw, and a few things need
39 libsamplerate. So if removing fftw breaks libsamplerate then could that
40 lead to the ones needing libsamplerate breaking to? Sounds like
41 dominoes falling to me.
42
43 My question is this, is it safe to remove fftw? I am learning here.
44 See how much research I did before coming here? I haven't removed it
45 yet either.
46
47 Thanks
48