From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Machine freezes during gcc compile
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 16:50:19
1 On 7/30/07, Dan Cowsill <danthehat@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I just got myself a new laptop and wanted to install Gentoo on it.
3 > After getting a working base system installed, I tried to install
4 > Xorg-x11, but the machine froze while trying to compile gcc. Keep in
5 > mind, there were no error messages, logs or anything of that nature.
6 > Just a straight up lack of any sort of control over the system.
7 >
8 > Now, just a little while ago I decided I'd try a different approach.
9 > I thought perhaps the problem lies in how I compiled the kernel. I
10 > tried to emerge gcc in the livecd environment with my gentoo install
11 > chrooted and sure enough, same deal.
12 >
13 > Does anyone know what could cause this? Or perhaps, what I should
14 > look for to solve this problem?
17 Probably your laptop overheated... It happened to me once.
18
19 Make sure that all fans are not obstructed in any way, and think about
20 setting up CPU frequency scaling according to the CPU temperature, was
21 the only way to get my laptop to compile stuff like GCC and
22 OpenOffice, to set it down to 2.0 GHz when it reaches 70 degrees,
23 instead of its full 2.6GHz.
26 Daniel da Veiga
27 Computer Operator - RS - Brazil
33 --