From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Profile listings
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 04:38:08
1 Andrew Savchenko <bircoph <at> gentoo.org> writes:
4 > Profile do all the stuff that can be done or overridden
5 > in /etc/portage, but they define some sane "default" sets of
6 > settings for common profiles.
7
8 > USE="-*" will override all USE settings in your profile. As you were
9 > already warned, this may break stuff: e.g. expected
10 > functionality will not be available or package will refuse to build
11 > if it needs at least one of USE flags set (e.g. alternative foo
12 > providers). So you must test things very carefully with USE="-*".
13
14 yes,
15 of coarse.
18 > A set of default packages is defined in the "packages" file of each
19 > profile. Profiles usually have "parent" file which lists parent
20 > profiles: they are inherited, but may be overridden here and there
21 > in a child profile.
22
23 Yes.
24 This is why I was looking for a 'tool' or script that would allow me
25 to easily browse the default package listings for the different
26 arch types with a default profile. In fact, I bet I can trim out
27 even more packages, or figure what what I need to add back in after
28 "-*" on a given chipset/arch_family.
31 > If you want an absolutely minimal system, after you have set it up
32 > you may remove some packages even from the <at> system set. E.g. if
33 > you're sure you don't need man or ssh, remove corresponding
34 > packages. Just be careful here since it is easy to brick your
35 > system here.
36
37 Yes, I keep old boxes around just to burn a bit and re_install (x86 first).
38 I bet you have done this before. recently on amd64 or arm64?
41 > Best regards,
42 > Andrew Savchenko
43
44 TIA,