From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 17:10:38
1 Am 30.09.2013 01:27, schrieb Dale:
2 > Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >> On 2013-09-29 5:35 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> Tanstaafl wrote:
5 >>>> Ok, but... everything I've read and personal experience over the years
6 >>>> shows that space required for /usr should not change much, especially
7 >>>> constantly grow over time (like requirements for /home can and will)-
8 >>>> it may fluctuate (increase, decrease) *a little* over time, but it
9 >>>> definitely should not grow substantially, so, if you had to resize it,
10 >>>> most likely it is because you simply didn't allocate enough room to
11 >>>> start with.
12 >>> So my experience doesn't matter any then?
13 >> Dale, that is NOT what I said, and nothing I am saying is intended to
14 >> be offensive.
15 >>
16 >>> My /usr does vary and sometimes varies quite a bit.
17 >> The question you should be asking yourself then, is WHY?
18 > To me, it doesn't matter why it varies, it just does. After each
19 > update, I check to see what the partitions look like. The biggest
20 > change was going from KDE3 to KDE4. That seemed to make things grow a
21 > good bit. Other things I install/uninstall seem to change things too.
22 >
23 >>> That is why I had to resize the thing. Saying that I didn't make it
24 >>> large enough to begin with isn't the point.
25 >> It is precisely the point...
26 >>
27 >> The fact is, there is nothing in there that *should* vary much (once
28 >> your system is fully installed) - unless you are using it in some
29 >> non-standard way, and/or not occasionally cleaning out /usr/src (as
30 >> Alan pointed out)... and if either of those is the case, then as I
31 >> said, it is your own fault that you needed to resize it.
32 >>
33 >> Don't you see how contradictory it is to say that you will change from
34 >> gentoo to distro-x because gentoo has made a change that requires you
35 >> to either merge /usr into / or use an 'init thingy', when distro-x,
36 >> that you say you will change to, USES AN INIT THINGY? Doesn't that
37 >> sound irrational to you?
38 > No, it doesn't. On Gentoo, I HAVE to make the thing but don't know how
39 > to fix it if it breaks. On other distros, I don't have to make the
40 > thing. If it fails, at worst, I can reinstall in much less time than I
41 > would spend trying to fix the silly thing. Since I don't know how to
42 > fix one and can't boot to get help, then the computer may as well be a
43 > screen door on a submarine. As I posted before, if something breaks and
44 > I can't fix it, I replace it with something else that works. That could
45 > be why /usr varies so much too.
46 >
47 >> What would be logical and rational would be to either:
48 >>
49 >> a) learn how to use an init thingy (which from some more reading I've
50 >> been doing, doesn't look quite as bad as it seemed initially), or
51 >>
52 >> b) determine what is a sane size for /usr, make / an appropriate size
53 >> to subsume it, and merge it into /.
54 >>
55 >> Now, if you don't have enough room in / to merge it, then obviously it
56 >> will be more painful, but once it is done, you never have to worry
57 >> about it again - and no init thingy.
58 > Actually, history proves that wrong too. I started using LVM because I
59 > got tired of having to rearrange my partitions and resize things. That
60 > was the whole reason I switched to LVM when I did. Ask anyone on this
61 > list that has been here long ehough. I have had to move things around
62 > LOTS of times because things grow including /usr and /var. /home is a
63 > different and unrelated thing. Funny thing is, I did it several times
64 > and never even posted about it.
65 >
66 >>> When people use LVM, the reason they use it is so that we can resize
67 >>> things when needed.
68 >> Yes, and I use LVM - but again, this is only important for dirs/mnt
69 >> points that have the potential to consume more and more disk space...
70 >> that potential is simply not there for (a properly configured and
71 >> maintained) /usr...
72 > See above.
73 >
74 >>> And what is rational for you, is not rational to me. Since you can
75 >>> dismiss mine, I can dismiss yours too. Funny how that works huh?
76 >> Yep... and you can also dismiss my claim that jumping off that 1,000'
77 >> cliff won't result in you going splat, but it doesn't change the fact
78 >> that if you jump off of it, you WILL go splat. I just wouldn't get the
79 >> chance to say I told you so.
82 > And what you are saying is not changing anything either. I don't want
83 > to mess with the init thingy. If I do, first time it fails and a
84 > solution isn't obvious, time to move on to something else. I like my 16
85 > year old washing machine and I have repaired things on it a few times.
86 > If it breaks and I can't fix it, time for a new washing machine. Most
87 > likely, a different brand and model too.
88 >
89 > Dale
90 >
94 500gb harddisks are extremely cheap.
95 150gb for / with usr and you will be fine for ages.
96
97 Why are you acting like this is a problem?