From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] More adventures with grub2
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 20:04:49
1 Just finished using gdisk to convert my MSDOS partition table to
2 a GPT. Worked perfectly on the first try (whew).
3
4 Rebooted with grub2 to discover that grub2 couldn't see my shiny
5 new GPT :(
6
7 After holding my head in my sweaty palms for a few minutes, I
8 finally realized that grub didn't automatically load its module
9 called part_gpt, so I used the grub shell to load it, and my new
10 GPT was there after all (whew again).
11
12 I found and loaded the linux kernel from the root partition, which
13 resides in my new GPT, right? You see where this is going, right?
14
15 The kernel booted nicely -- and then the panic message appeared,
16 because, what else, I forgot to compile in support for GPT :(
17
18 So now I'm off to boot my gparted rescue CD and try to chroot
19 to the hard disk so I can compile a kernel with GPT support.
20
21 If that works I'm taking the rest of the day off. (I'm lying.)
22
23 Good thing I like this kind of fascinating learning experience.