From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Small Gnome 2.14 frustrations
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 18:18:48
1 Hello,
2 Since upgrading to Gnome-2.14 I've run into some small frustrations:
3
4 1) In the Desktop menu on the taskbar there is now a 'Shutdown' entry.
5 We do not want to shutdown from anyone's account since this machine is
6 also our MythTV backend server and we don't want to make a mistake and
7 take it offline. Can this be removed somehow?
8
9 2) For all login accounts every other login fails from the GDM login
10 screen with a message something like this:
11
12 <QUOTE>
13 GDM could not write to your authorization file. This could mean that
14 you are out of diskspace or that your account could not be opened for
15 writing. In any case you cannot login. Please contact your
16 administrator.
17 </QOUTE>
18
19 I Googled around a bit and found other people who had a similar
20 problem and the same message. It seemed that for them that the answer
21 was to change permissions on /tmp. However I tried that and it didn't
22 work for me:
23
24 chown root:root /tmp
25 chmod 1777 /tmp
26
27 3) In my account only when I try to empty the Gnome trashcan I get a
28 message like this:
29
30 <QUOTE>
31 Error while deleting.
32
33 "/home/mark/...tled folder" cannot be deleted because you do not have
34 permissions to modify its parent folder.
35 </QUOTE>
36
37 Even with this message if I am in the trash can in Nautilus and look
38 at the files they are deleted before the message comes up.
39
40 I've checked the permissions on .Trash. They appear correct and there
41 are no hidden files that have the wrong permissions.
42
43 mark@dragonfly ~ $ ls -alR .Trash/
44 .Trash/:
45 total 8
46 drwx------ 2 mark users 4096 Jul 22 11:00 .
47 drwx------ 65 mark users 4096 Jul 22 10:57 ..
48 mark@dragonfly ~ $
49
50 Any ideas about how to address each of these are appreciated.
51
52 Thanks,
53 Mark
54 --