From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] arp question
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2015 18:21:07
1 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> writes:
2
3 > On Sat, Dec 26, 2015 at 9:14 AM, lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> They are connected to different vlans on the same switch, so they don't
6 >> share the same broadcast domain. The switch shows the mac addresses of
7 >> the phones only in the expected vlan.
10 > Out of curiosity, have you tried actually sending a broadcast on the
11 > VLAN to verify that it actually is implemented correctly? If your
12 > switch is mixing ARP across VLANs that would explain this behavior.
13
14 Not yet --- and it won't exactly be an easy thing to do.
15
16 It's a high-quality switch. If it couldn't keep vlans seperated, the
17 customers it was designed for would have them pretty much all replaced
18 under warranty.
19
20 > I've never messed with VLAN on linux but I'd think that you could
21
22 Me neither; so far, the switch does it.
23
24 > probably implement VLAN in software and actually save yourself a
25 > physical network interface as well (both interfaces could go out over
26 > the same wire and be handled appropriately by the switch).
27
28 Hm. That might even be possible, in a very complicated setup. Maybe
29 some day, I can do that, after lots of learning.