From: JimD <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems configuring VMWare
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 23:20:58
1 Martin Larsson wrote:
2 > On 5/24/06, Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> Well yes, he needs a -r<something>,
4 >
5 > I've installed vmware-workstation-5.5.1.19175-r3.
6 > But it seemed I had some old versions of vmware-files
7 > in various locations. So I cleaned that up, and now I
8 > can configure.
9 >
10 > But when I attempt to actually *run* it, I get:
11 >
12 > vmware is installed, but it has not been (correctly) configured
13 > for this system. To (re-)configure it, invoke the following command:
14 > /opt/vmware/workstation/bin/vmware-config.pl.
15 >
16 > Running vmware-config.pl again just brings me back
17 > to that same error.
18 >
19 > M.
20
21 I get this too. It appears to be a bug in the startup script. If I run
22 /etc/init.d/vmware start and everything comes up. If I run the startup
23 script again I get a some failed messages because vmware was already
24 started.
25
26 The startup script places an empty file in /etc/vmware named
27 not_configured if the startup script fails for any reason. Being
28 already started doesn't seem like a good reason to me.
29
30 Anyway, all I had to do is remove /etc/vmware/not_configured and all is
31 golden.
32
33 Jim
34 --