From: Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] libav and ffmpeg on the same computer issue once again
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 17:30:42
1 On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 9:04 AM, Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, 15 May 2015 01:45:35 -0400 Gregory Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com>
4 > wrote:
5 >
6 > > I had a similar problem with some packages wanting virtual/ffmpeg and
7 > > it wouldn't take the -libav USE flag without adding a keyword for
8 > > ~amd64 on the virtual.
9 > > (yes, I am going the opposite way from you, but the cause seem the
10 > > same -- various USE flags are not yet adjusted in the stable
11 > > branches.)
12 > >
13 > > Perhaps we need to request "stabilization" for some of the newer
14 > > packages to solve this.
15 >
16 > Thank you for confirming that libav USE flag do not work not only for me.
17 >
18 > However, it would be interesting to hear what the Gentoo devs think about
19 > this issue.
23 Portage news item No 19 has the answer you're looking for.
26 > eselect news read 19
27 > 2015-04-16-ffmpeg-default
28 > Title FFmpeg default
29 > Author Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
30 > Posted 2015-04-16
31 > Revision 1
32 >
33 > Since the choice between ffmpeg and libav has been made more
34 > explicit, there has been a lot of discussion about what the
35 > default implementation should be. It can be concluded that
36 > media-video/ffmpeg has wider support, and would be somewhat
37 > more convenient for most end-users.
38 >
39 > For this reason the default implementation has been switched
40 > back from media-video/libav to media-video/ffmpeg by removing
41 > the libav useflag from the base profile.
42 >
43 > If the libav useflag is already globally enabled or disabled
44 > in /etc/portage/make.conf, then no further action is required.
45 >
46 > Users who implicitly relied on libav being enabled in their
47 > profile, and who wish to continue using libav, should enable
48 > USE=libav in their /etc/portage/make.conf file.