From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage behaviour with Masked packages - Gaim
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 16:54:57
1 On Monday 04 February 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Monday 04 February 2008, Mick wrote:
3 > > On Monday 04 February 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4
5 > > > It was hard masked in portage very recently. Unfortunately for gaim
6 > > > users, the upgrade consists of unmerge gaim, merge pidgin, import
7 > > > settings.
8 > >
9 > > OK, I can surely do that, but shouldn't portage warn me about Gaim
10 > > being hard masked? Is my portage borked, or is this behaviour no
11 > > longer valid/expected?
12 >
13 > No, there's nothing wrong with your system. Portage will allow you to
14 > have an installed package that isn't in the tree anymore as a copy of
15 > the ebuild is in /var somewhere. Maybe if you set verbose logging it
16 > will alert you but this isn't an error. If it were, people would be
17 > forced to remove stuff everytime some dev masked a package on a whim.
18 >
19 > Remerging gaim is another story, then portage will correctly tell you
20 > that it can't do the update.
21 >
22 > In short, your gentoo is working correctly as designed.
23
24 Thanks Alan, I can remember though that XMMS (and other packages) were
25 flagged up as hard masked/not in the tree by Portage. Am I right?
26 --
27 Regards,
28 Mick