From: Hans de Graaff <graaff@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Routine update wants to install 3 version of Ruby + 50 others
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 08:00:46
1 On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 18:29:46 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
2
3 > My routine more-or-less weekly update suddenly decided that it needed to
4 > install 3 versions of Ruby along with ~50 other ruby-related packages.
5 > This caused a bit of a problem, since those versions of Ruby can't
6 > coexist: (something to do with tk and threads).
7
8 There should not be a problem installing these versions at the same time,
9 although perhaps with a specific combination of USE flags there might be
10 issues. This should be fixable by specifying different USE flags for some
11 of the packages.
12
13 > I've never had Ruby installed before, and after some digging around, I
14 > finally tracked it down to two things:
15 >
16 > gnome-terminal->nautilus->webkit->ruby
17 > multipath-tools->thin-provisioning-tools->ruby
18
19 At least for thin-provisioning-tools you could use the unstable revision
20 that makes ruby an test-only dependency.
21
22 > I understand that sometimes a maintainer decides to add a feature that
23 > requires some new dependancies, but why three different versions of Ruby
24 > all of a sudden?
25
26 Because ruby18 and ruby19 are specified in the default RUBY_TARGETS as
27 defined in the profile. And due to the way the dependencies are specified
28 in both webkit and thin-provisioning-tools it will additionally try to
29 pull in ruby20 first. Hence: three versions.
30
31 We intend to mask ruby18 shortly and at that time we will also add ruby20
32 to the default RUBY_TARGETS. That still leaves two ruby versions, but we
33 want to prepare for the new version as the old version is slowly being
34 deprecated.
35
36 Hans