From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: /etc/portage/env for a whole category
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 21:14:00
1 On 16/12/12 22:19, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > Hello again,
3 >
4 > I would like to include debug info into more of my system, but still not the
5 > whole userland. So I'd like to start with libs. But how do I tell portage do
6 > to it?
7 > I've been using portage/env before for selected packages, namely:
8 >
9 > $ cat /etc/portage/debug-build
10 > CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -pipe -ggdb"
11 > CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
12 > FEATURES="${FEATURES} splitdebug"
13 > #USE="${USE} debug"
14 >
15 > and then placing a symlink at portage/env/<category>/<package-name> to point
16 > at the file. But how can I tell portage to use it for whole categories, or
17 > even a group of categories like *libs*?
18
19 First, clean up all current settings for this (delete all your current
20 symlinks and such.)
21
22 Then, create a *.conf file in /etc/portage/env/. The name can whatever
23 you want. In this case, "splitdebug.conf" seems appropriate. So make a
24 /etc/portage/env/splitdebug.conf" file with the following contents:
25
26 CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -g"
27 CXXFLAGS="${CXXFLAGS} -g"
28 FEATURES="${FEATURES} splitdebug"
29
30 (Do not set the "debug" USE flag. It's not for getting debug info.)
31
32 If you really want "-ggdb" instead of just "-g", then use that instead,
33 though it will take more space for no real benefit, unless you actually
34 need the extra debug info for some reason. Note how the file appends
35 the "-g" flag to the existing flags. This way, your usual flags from
36 make.conf are picked up; you don't have manually keep them in sync.
37
38 Next, create the file "/etc/portage/package.env". In that file, you can
39 list packages that should use a *.conf file you created. In this case,
40 you can do:
41
42 sys-libs/glibc splitdebug.conf
43 media-libs/libsdl splitdebug.conf
44 # etc.
45
46 However, portage now also supports wildcards. So you can do stuff like:
47
48 sys-libs/* splitdebug.conf
49 media-libs/* splitdebug.conf
50