From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Allow work from home?
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 07:12:45
1 On Wednesday, January 20, 2016 01:46:29 AM lee wrote:
2 > "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> writes:
3 > > On Tuesday, January 19, 2016 01:46:45 AM lee wrote:
4 > >> "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> writes:
5 > >> > On Monday, January 18, 2016 02:02:27 AM lee wrote:
6 > >> >> "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> writes:
7
8 > >> >
9 > >> > Yes
10 > >> >
11 > >> >> That would be a huge waste of resources,
12 > >> >
13 > >> > Diskspace and CPU can easily be overcommitted.
14 > >>
15 > >> Overcommitting disk space sounds like a very bad idea. Overcommitting
16 > >> memory is not possible with xen.
17 > >
18 > > Overcommitting diskspace isn't such a bad idea, considering most installs
19 > > never utilize all the available diskspace.
20 >
21 > When they do not use it anyway, there is no reason to give it to them in
22 > the first place. And when they do use it, how do the VMs handle the
23 > problem that they have plenty disk space available, from their point of
24 > view, while the host which they don't know about doesn't allow them to
25 > use it?
26
27 1 word: Monitoring.
28 When you overcommit any resource, you need to put monitoring in place.
29 Then you also need to ensure you have the ability to increase that resource
30 when required.
31
32 > Besides, overcommitting disk space means to intentionally create a setup
33 > which involves that the host can run out of disk space easily. That is
34 > not something I would want to create for a host which is required to
35 > function reliably.
36
37 The host should not crash when a VM does or when the storage assigned to VMs
38 fills up.
39 If it does, go back to the drawing board and fix your design.
40
41 > And how much do you need to worry about the security of the VMs when you
42 > build in a way for the users to bring the whole machine, or at least
43 > random VMs, down by using the disk space which has been assigned to
44 > them? The users are somewhat likely to do that even unintentionally,
45 > the more the more you overcommit.
46
47 See comment about monitoring.
48 If all your users tend to fill up all available diskspace, you obviously can
49 not overcommit on diskspace.
50
51 > > Overcommitting memory is, i think, on the roadmap for Xen. (Disclaimer: At
52 > > least, I seem to remember reading that somewhere)
53 >
54 > That would be a nice feature.
55
56 For VDIs, I might consider using it.
57 But considering most OSs tend to fill up all available memory with caches, I
58 expect performance issues.
59
60 > >> >> plus having to take care of a lot of VMs,
61 > >> >
62 > >> > Automated.
63 > >>
64 > >> Like how?
65 > >
66 > > How do you manage a large amount of physical machines?
67 > > Just change physical to VMs and do it the same.
68 > > With VMs you have more options for automation.
69 >
70 > Individually, in lack of a better way. Per user when it comes to
71 > setting up their MUAs and the like, in lack of any better way. It
72 > doesn't make a difference if it's a VM or not, provided that you have
73 > remote access to the machine.
74
75 This is where management tools come into play. (Same methods apply to physical
76 and virtual)
77
78 When talking MS Windows, domains with their policies are very useful. Couple
79 that with WSUS for the patching and software distribution tools for the
80 additional software installs, and you have a very nice setup.
81
82 For Linux, I would recommend tools like Ansible or Puppet to control the
83 software on the machines.
84
85 For any OS, I would prevent my users from installing random software. And what
86 is installed, would be mostly pre-configured out-of-the-box.
87
88 > When you one VM for many users, you install the MUA only once, and when
89 > you need to do updates, you do them only once. When you have many VMs,
90 > like one for each user, you have to install and update many times, once
91 > on each VM.
92
93 Management tools.
94
95 > > Depends on the requirements. It's cheaper then a few hundred seperate
96 > > windows licenses.
97 >
98 > It's still more expensive than one, or than a handful, isn't it?
99
100 The same cost applies to running physical boxes instead of VMs.
101
102 > > Last time I had to fully reinstall a windows machine it took me a day to
103 > > do
104 > > all the updates. Microsoft even has server software that will keep them
105 > > locally and push them to the clients.
106 >
107 > That would be useful to have. Where could I download that?
108 >
109 > Last time I installed a VM, it took a week until the updates where
110 > finally installed, and you have to check on it every now and then to
111 > find out if it's even doing anything at all. The time before, it wasn't
112 > a VM but a very slow machine, and that also took a week. You can have
113 > the fastest machine on the world and Windoze always manages to bring it
114 > down to a slowness we wouldn't have accepted even 20 years ago.
115
116 Google for "WSUS".
117 It's been around for a very long time now (since 2005).
118
119 > >> The hardware has already been replaced, and the problem persists. Other
120 > >> machines of identical hardware that don't run xen don't show any issues.
121 > >
122 > > I still say the hardware is buggy. With replacing, I meant replace it with
123 > > different hardware, not a different version of the same buggy stuff.
124 >
125 > The hardware is known to be 100% reliable by own experience for over a
126 > year, for all the machines. Only when xen is running, the problem shows
127 > up.
128 >
129 > Replacing the machine with another, identical one, allows to rule out
130 > that the particular machine which was replaced has an issue and was very
131 > easy to do, so that was a very reasonable second step after trying
132 > different network cards. Three different network cards, from three
133 > different manufactures, lead to the same error message.
134 >
135 > Googling the error message shows that quite a few ppl, with entirely
136 > different hardware, usually not running xen, have had the same message
137 > with very similar symptoms.
138 >
139 > This currently leaves these possibilities:
142 > 1.) Xen doesn't work with this hardware.
143
144 Xen doesn't touch the network interfaces, it's the host that handles that.
145
146 > 2.) The problem might somehow be caused by an SSD.
147
148 Network issues caused by SSD?
149 Sounds like buggy hardware, replace.
150
151 > 3.) The error message is actually true and something yet unknown is
152 > going on on the network.
153 >
154 > 4.) The problem may have been fixed a while ago in the kernel and has
155 > not been fixed in the xen kernel.
156
157 Xen kernel?
158 I use hardened-sources or gentoo-sources for the host.
159 Which Xen kernel are you talking about?
160
161 > 5.) The gplpv drivers the VMs use cause the problem.
162
163 Contact the developer to get a debug-version.
164
165 > 6.) It's an issue with power management since the problem occurs when
166 > the machine and the VMs are not used/busy, at night. Disabling the
167 > power management for the network card has not made a difference,
168 > though.
169
170 Powermanagement of the switches?
171
172 > 3.) is currently being worked on. It needs to be figured out and, if
173 > there's something weird going on, to be solved in any case. 6.) seems
174 > unlikely, 1.) and 2.) can be decided when the the hardware is replaced
175 > with something entirely different, which is the most painful and most
176 > time-consuming option. That would leave 4.) and 5.), and 3.) if 3.)
177 > cannot be resolved.
178 >
179 > It's easy to say that "the hardware is buggy". I'm not convinced that
180 > it is. In any case, you can always run into a situation in which xen
181 > doesn't work as well as you might wish or have experienced so far.
182
183 Hardware should do what it's designed to do.
184 If it can't handle the function it is build for, it's buggy.
187 > >> It's time consuming when you have to reinstall the VMs to migrate them
188 > >> to kvm. And when you don't have the installers of all the software
189 > >> that's on some of the VMs and can't get them, you either have to run
190 > >> them without virtio drivers or you can't migrate them.
191 > >
192 > > There are Howtos on the internet describing how to migrate VMs from 1
193 > > technology to another. Shouldn't be too hard.
194 >
195 > I looked for them. Did you find one that tells you how to install
196 > the virtio drivers on an existing Windoze 7 VM and that actually works?
197 > It's already very difficult to get rid of gplpv drivers.
198
199 The following usually works:
200 Boot up in safe mode, delete the drivers, reboot, install virtio, reboot.
201
202 > > And keeping the installers at hand is, in my opinion, a requirement of
203 > > sane
204 > > system management.
205 > > I have installers for all the versions of software I deal with.
206 >
207 > Indeed --- but some predecessor decided not to keep an installer which
208 > would be required and is now unavailable. So the only options are to
209 > leave the VM running under xen or to run it under KVM without virtio
210 > drivers. The latter is bad idea because the application the installer
211 > would be needed for already has severe performance problems built in,
212 > and making it worse isn't a good idea.
213
214 Request installers from the original source?
215 Or consider it legacy and migrate away soonish.
216 What is your recovery plan if the server it's on dies a horrible death?
217
218 > >> > The biggest reason why I don't use KVM is the lack of full snapshot
219 > >> > functionality. Snapshotting disks is nice, but you end up with an
220 > >> > unclean-
221 > >> > shutdown situation and anything that's not yet committed to disk is
222 > >> > gone.
223 > >>
224 > >> I'm not sure what you mean. When you take a snapshot while the VM is not
225 > >> shut down, what difference does it make whether you use xen or kvm?
226 > >
227 > > A "snapshot" for KVM is ONLY the disks.
228 > > With Xen, VMWare and Virtualbox, I can also make a snapshot/copy of what's
229 > > in memory. It's that which makes the difference.
230 >
231 > Is that possible without freezing the VM while you make a snapshot of
232 > the memory?
233
234 No
235
236 > If not, how is it so much better than shutting the VM down?
237
238 It's faster in most cases.
239 Exception being, the VM having such a large amount of memory assigned that the
240 disk-I/O to store the memory takes longer than a reboot.
241
242 Or, in my usual use-case for needing snapshots, is in the middle of a lengthy
243 manual process, I want to take a snapshot of the current situation and a
244 reboot at that point in time will actually cause issues.
245 The software being used is usually in memory and a disk-only snapshot (eg.
246 system crashed simulation when restoring) will mean I can start over.
247
248 > >> >> Then there's the question how well vnc or spice connections work over
249 > >> >> a
250 > >> >> VPN that goes over the internet.
251 > >> >
252 > >> > VNC works quite well, as long as you use a minimal desktop. (like
253 > >> > blackbox). Don't expect KDE or Gnome to be usable.
254 > >> > I haven't tried Spice yet, but I've read that it performs better.
255 > >>
256 > >> It's not like you had a choice when you have Windoze VMs.
257 > >
258 > > Windows has RDP, which is a lot better than VNC. Especially when dealing
259 > > with low-bandwidth connections.
260 >
261 > Wasn't RPD deprecated earlier in this discussion because it seemed to be
262 > not sufficiently secure?
263
264 Login to the RDP session can be linked to 2FA or smart-cards which need to be
265 plugged into the laptop.
266 Don't ask me how, but I have seen it work.
267
268 Couple that with a VPN (Which I consider an absolute must when allowing
269 employees to work from elsewhere via the internet).
270
271 It can be made more secure than a simple VNC or NX connection.
272
273 > >> > That depends on where you are.
274 > >>
275 > >> In this country, you have to be really lucky to find a place where you
276 > >> can get a decent internet connection.
277 > >
278 > > Then in your country, working from home might not be the best option.
279 >
280 > That probably goes for most countries.
281
282 Probably, I tend to only deal with countries in Europe and the US. This does
283 make me less clued up of the reality in other regions.
284
285 > >> > The company could host the servers in a decent datacentre, which should
286 > >> > take care of the bandwidth issues.
287 > >>
288 > >> And give all their data out of hands? And how much does that cost?
289 > >
290 > > I'm talking about putting your own hardware there, not letting the
291 > > datacentre company access to the servers.
292 >
293 > How could they reside in a datacenter without the ppl there having
294 > physical access to them?
295
296 Locked cages which you provide and control access to?
297 If you're worried about people sniffing encrypted network traffic, I would say,
298 good luck building your own secure WAN.
299
300 > >> > For the employees, if they want to work from home, it's up to them to
301 > >> > ensure they have a reliable connection.
302 > >>
303 > >> It is as much problem of the company when they want the employees to
304 > >> work at home. And the employees don't have a choice, they can only get
305 > >> a connection they can get.
306 > >
307 > > If the company insists people work from home, they need to ensure the
308 > > employees have the option for a usable connection. Most companies I deal
309 > > with leave working from home as an option to the employees.
310 >
311 > Sometimes it's not an option, and there isn't anything a company could
312 > do to improve what internet connection an employee can get, unless
313 > they'd spend huge amounts of money to put cables or fiber glass into the
314 > ground, provided that they'd get the permissions for that.
315
316 Then the company doesn't have the right to force it onto their employees.
317
318 > Sooner or later, it might become very difficult to find anyone who's
319 > still willing to spend all the time and money it takes to commute, or
320 > someone who can still afford it at all, and it might become difficult to
321 > find an employer willing to spend the money it takes to provide the
322 > employees with offices.
323
324 True, but if you end up paying for the privilege to work, why work at all?
325 If I would end up with a negative balance because my costs are more then my
326 income, I would quit on the spot and actually be better off.
327
328 > When you consider the enormous amount of resources that are wasted for
329 > commuting in an economy and that some economies might start to gain an
330 > advantage over others by letting ppl work from their homes and by thus
331 > becoming able to make more competitive offers to their customers, you
332 > might come to think that it won't take very long before almost everyone
333 > must work at their home. So this isn't a problem of a company, or some
334 > companies, it's a problem for all companies and all employees, as it is
335 > a problem for all economies and all countries.
336
337 Countries where the infrastructure already exists will have this as an
338 advantage. Currently, these are also the countries with the higher wages.
339 If low-salary countries want to be able to compete on that level, the leaders
340 of those countries should invest in the infrastructure, instead of their own
341 fleet of expensive cars, private planes, castles,....
342
343 > >> >> It might work in theory. How would it be feasible in practise?
344 > >> >
345 > >> > Plenty of companies do it this way. If you don't want to pay for
346 > >> > software
347 > >> > like XenDesktop, you need to do all the work setting it up yourself.
348 > >>
349 > >> VNC is somewhat slow over a 1Gbit LAN. Did they find some way to
350 > >> overcome this problem?
351 > >
352 > > Depends on the settings.
353 >
354 > Well, yes, I guess you can send something like 640x480 with some minimum
355 > content that changes as little as possible with less trouble over an
356 > internet connection than something one can actually work with.
357
358 Try, lower quality, like less colours.
359 When configured for LAN-settings, a 640x480 VNC session will perform worse then
360 a 1280x1024 VNC session configured for 58k.
361 Difference is, the larger screen looks horrible, but I can still work on it.
362
363 > >> This sounds like it is for people with unlimited resources.
364 > >>
365 > >> BTW, access a VM through VNC, and you don't even have any way to make
366 > >> the mouse pointer in the VNC window actually follow the mouse pointer
367 > >> you're using, which makes it rather annoying to do anything in the VM
368 > >> you're looking at. If you found a solution for that, I'd be curious as
369 > >> to how you solved this problem.
370 > >
371 > > There is, it's even documented.
372 > > I'm assuming you are talking about the VNC-console Xen provides?
373 > >
374 > > Configure the mouse to be a tablet in the VM config and the issue
375 > > disappears.
376 > Thanks, I can try that. I haven't seen this documented anywhere yet.
377
378 Google for "xen vnc mouse out of sync"
379
380 First hit:
381 http://www.virtuatopia.com/index.php/Xen_mouse_pointer_appears_in_the_wrong_position_in_VNC_console
382