From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM and moving things around
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2022 12:42:05
1 Bill Kenworthy wrote:
2 > Rsync has a bwlimit argument which helps here. Note that rsync copies
3 > the whole file on what it considers local storage (which can be
4 > mounted network shares) ... this can cause a real slowdown.
5 > BillK
9 I ended up just letting it do its thing.  I didn't want to slow it down
10 by much, just make my desktop able to respond better.  I used nice and
11 ionice to do this with emerge and it works great.  I just thought I was
12 missing some option for that command that google didn't help with.  I
13 went and helped my sis-n-law with some garden stuff.  That helped.  ;-)
14
15 As it stands now, I've copied enough over to get a free 8TB drive.  I
16 set up LUKS, which includes LVM, on the drive and am copying some more
17 files onto the newly encrypted drive.  Once everything is transferred,
18 I'll then see if I need the other drive added or not.  I may not at the
19 moment.  Of course, once fiber internet gets here, that may change
20 pretty soon.
21
22 If someone is really knowledgeable about LVM and LUKS and how to set up
23 a encrypted hard drive, not a whole install but just a data drive, a
24 howto for this would be really nice.  I had to use a LUKS howto and a
25 LVM howto and sort of merge commands until I figured out how to get the
26 two together.  Even tho I got it working, I'm still not real clear on
27 how one part of it works.  I'm just not clear enough on it to write one
28 myself.  A Gentoo wiki would be nice.  There's one for the two
29 separately but not together.  One posted anywhere google can find it
30 would be great tho.
31
32 Now to find something to do while rsync copies over some 6TBs of files.
33 O_O
34
35 Dale
36