From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cleaning up world
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 06:51:06
1 On Friday 22 May 2009 00:11:12 Mick wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 19 May 2009, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > Edit the world file and remove every version number in that file if
4 > > present. You don;t need it and portage is infinitely better at tracking
5 > > it than you are. Then remove everything with a category ending in "lib",
6 > > these rarely need to be in world.
7 >
8 > Arrrgh! Does this mean that I shouldn't have all these in there:
9 >
10 > media-libs/libdvdcss
11 > media-libs/libdvdnav
12 > media-libs/libdvdread
13 > media-libs/libflash
14 > media-libs/libmodplug
15 > media-libs/libmp4v2
16 > media-libs/libmpcdec
17 > media-libs/libmpeg2
18 > media-libs/libmpeg3
19 > media-libs/libogg
20 > media-libs/libpng
21 > media-libs/libquicktime
22 > media-libs/libsamplerate
23 > media-libs/libsdl
24 > media-libs/libtheora
25 >
26 > Also, as you can see from media-libs/libmpeg am I having duplicate packages
27 > in there?
28
29 Those are useful packages, so you probably do want them. Just not in world :-)
30
31 If --depclean wants to remove them, you could add them back, or look closely
32 at your media apps to see which USE has been removed.
33
34 libmpeg2 and libmpeg3 are different packages. The numbers are part of the
35 name, not a version number.
38 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com