From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I can RTFM, but can I understand it: re elog messages
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 13:21:42
1 On 08/19/2010 04:38 PM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Thursday 19 August 2010 21:21:20 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
3 >
4 >> So I looked up "auto-hinter" in the flagedit(1) program. It says:
5 >> auto-hinter: Local Flag: Use the unpatented auto-hinter instead
6 >> of the (recommended) TrueType bytecode interpreter (media-
7 >> libs/freetype)
8 >>
9 >> The placement of the "(recommended)" is just a bit ambiguous.
10 >
11 > No, it isn't. You may be being confused by the unnecessary inclusion of
12 > brackets (parentheses if you're American); remove them and you see that
13 > the TrueType byte-code interpreter is recommended. Or, just consider the
14 > phrase "the recommended TrueType bytecode interpreter", with or without
15 > brackets. I can't see how that could be thought ambiguous.
16
17 I have to agree it's ambiguous. You have to wonder why the parenthetical
18 "recommended" is offset if it's just part of the sentence. If it were as
19 you say, there would be no need to put them there. As it is written it
20 sounds like it's making an aside claiming that one of them is
21 recommended and, by its placement, it's hard to discern its antecedent.
22
23 That's my first impression. And I'm sticking to it.