From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update behavior
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 00:04:21
1 On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 18:11:15 -0500, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2
3 > > How so? If anything that was not a dependency of something else was in
4 > > the world file, how could anything be removed?
5 >
6 > I have both of these in world:
7 >
8 > dev-php/PEAR-Mail
9 > dev-php/PEAR-Mail_Mime
10 >
11 > Let's say PEAR-Mail_Mime depends on PEAR-Mail -- it might, I haven't
12 > checked, it's just an example. And I remember installing
13 > PEAR-Mail_Mime: I needed it to receive binary attachments through a
14 > contact form on an internal site.
15 >
16 > I suspect a customer had me install PEAR-Mail so that he could send
17 > some notifications via SMTP rather than sendmail(). Can I remove it
18 > from world?
19 >
20 > At the moment, yes I can: PEAR-Mail_Mime depends on PEAR-Mail, so there
21 > will be no change in my --depclean output. But if I ever take down the
22 > internal site, and uninstall PEAR-Mail_Mime, depclean will want to
23 > remove PEAR-Mail, and break that guy's site. This is what that script
24 > would do.
25 >
26 > If I know that I have been careful in the past, this is not a problem,
27 > since the contents of world will be accurate. However, I'm a little
28 > worried that I may have forgotten --oneshot and added PEAR-Mail by
29 > mistake on an upgrade. Now, I have to either risk breaking some
30 > customer's site, or leave PEAR-Mail in my world file forever.
31
32 nothing can protect you from something going wrong with this. What if you
33 had installed dev-php/PEAR-Mail_Mime first? It would have pulled in
34 dev-php/PEAR-Mail and you would not have had to install that for the
35 other customer and it would not be in world. If the first customer no
36 longer needs his packages, dev-php/PEAR-Mail would still be subject to
37 depcleaning, no matter how emerge -u behaved.
38
39 Where you have a situation where packages are dependencies of factors
40 outside of portage, you have to take your own steps to manage this. The
41 only software that can completely help you with that is already installed
42 between your ears. As stated previously, I would use sets as a
43 self-documenting method of doing this, but anything involving adequate
44 record keeping should do.
45
46 As Alan indicated, there is no real harm in having the odd spurious
47 package in world aside from a tendency to bloat.
51 Neil Bothwick
52
53 What do you get if you cross an agnostic, an insomniac and adyslexic?
54 Someone who lies awake at night wondering if there really is a dog.