From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] SSH port forwards behind restrictive firewall
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 09:31:18
1 On Tuesday 19 February 2008, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 19 February 2008, Mick wrote:
3 > > > Does your mail server at home have a real ip address? You can do
4 > > >
5 > > > ssh -l <username> -p 443 -N ssh.server.address -L
6 > > > localport:mail.server.address:remoteport
7 > > >
8 > > > And you don't need to worry about setting up forwarding rules on the
9 > > > router.
10 > >
11 > > The mail server is on the Internet, not accessible by ssh. I intended
12 > > to use the router to bounce the ssh connection and forward it to the
13 > > mail server.
14 > >
15 > > laptop --> |firewall| --> router --> mailserver
16 > > ssh ssh ssl
17 > >
18 > > Essentially, thinking of using the router as a proxy server.
19 >
20 > Ok, then Willie's command will work just fine, provided that *ssh*
21 > connections to port 443 or 80 of your router work (and of course, that
22 > your router can in turn reach the mail server on the necessary ports).
23 >
24 > ssh -p 443 -L 1234:mail.server:25 -L 5678:mail.server:110 you@router
25 >
26 > Would open ports 1234 and 5678 on localhost for sending and receiving
27 > mail respectively. If your mail server uses SSL, the use the
28 > corresponding ports (995 and/or 587 or whatever).
29 >
30 > What you send to port 1234 on localhost will be forwarded by ssh to your
31 > router, and the router will forward the data to the mail server, port
32 > 25. The same for port 5678.
33 >
34 > Note that the connection between your computer and the router is through
35 > ssh, to port 443 of the router. This is the only connection you'll pass
36 > through the firewall, and through which all the forwarded ports will
37 > flow.
38
39 Nice! I will try it out next time I'm in the office.
40
41 Thanks. :)
42 --
43 Regards,