From: j5483 <j5483@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Xorg Issues
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:11:20
1 Your problem is related to your mouse. Check /etc/X11/xorg.conf and make
2 sure a mouse (usually /dev/psaux) is set. Also make sure your regular
3 user can access it. The easiest way to test that is as your user run
4 "cat /dev/<what ever your mouse is>" then move the mouse around. You
5 should see stuff appearing on the screen as you move it if everything is
6 all right.
7
8 Michael Shaw wrote:
9
10 > Hi all,
11 >
12 > I’m new to Gentoo (and relatively new to Linux in general). I’m
13 > running it in VMWare as I evaluate systems to ultimately replace
14 > Windows. I really like the speed of Gentoo and think the portage
15 > system is excellent.
16 >
17 > Yesterday I emerged gnome-light and am able to startx as root, but not
18 > as a normal user. This seems like a permissions problem to me.
19 > However, I have not found anything on Google to point me in the write
20 > direction.
21 >
22 > Please find attached my X11 start up log from my regular user account.
23 > Hopefully someone can help.
24 >
25 > Thanks,
26 >
27 > Mike
28 >
29 > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
32 > X Window System Version 6.8.2
33 > Release Date: 9 February 2005
34 > X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.8.2
35 > Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.12-gentoo-r6 i686 [ELF] Current
36 > Operating System: Linux fuckaduck 2.6.12-gentoo-r6 #1 SMP Mon Oct 24
37 > 06:28:38 PDT 2005 i686
38 > Build Date: 24 October 2005
39 > Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.X.Org
40 > to make sure that you have the latest version.
41 > Module Loader present
42 > Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
43 > (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
44 > (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown. (WW)
45 > No core pointer registered
46 > (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard0" (type: KEYBOARD)
47 > No core pointer
48 >
49 > Fatal server error:
50 > failed to initialize core devices