From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NIC not detected after Kernel upgrade
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 07:59:31
1 daid kahl wrote:
4 > Also, you should avoid using oldconfig except for really minor kernel
5 > upgrades. I know this is mentioned in documentation elsewhere, but
6 > just a useful reminder.
7 >
8 > ~daid
9
10 This has been discussed on this list before. Running make oldconfig
11 works fine. I, and a lot of others, have said this many times. I
12 configed one kernel about 5 years ago and have used oldconfig ever
13 since. It is faster and less prone to problems than starting from scratch.
14
15 If you are going from 2.4 to 2.6, then you should start fresh. I
16 recently went from 2.6.23 to a 2.6.28 with no problem, other than trying
17 to figure out that new group stuff.
18
19 Dale
20