From: Ryan Tandy <tarpman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How to set domainname
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 01:19:27
1 Alexander Skwar <listen <at> alexander.skwar.name> writes:
2
3 > You know, you can play your sniping game yourself. It's boring.
4
5 I apologize if I appear to be trolling. That's not my intention at all; I'm
6 more likely just not getting something (happens fairly often). If that's the
7 case, maybe you can help resolve (haha, punny) it.
8
9 According to you:
10 - hostname should be set in /etc/hosts
11 - domain name should be set in /etc/conf.d/net (i.e., NOT in /etc/hosts)
12
13 According to /etc/conf.d/net.example:
14 - DNS settings can be specified either per-interface, or globally (lines 638
15 and 639)
16 - for any DNS settings (fex dns_domain) to be specified, the dns_servers
17 setting *must* be specified as well (line 637) (is this the point I'm
18 misinterpreting?)
19
20 delta ~ # cat /etc/hosts
21 127.0.0.1 delta localhost
22 delta ~ # cat /etc/conf.d/net
23 config_eth0=("dhcp")
24 dns_domain_eth0="mydomain.com"
25 delta ~ # /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart > /dev/null
26 delta ~ # dnsdomainname
27 dnsdomainname: Unknown host
28
29 What have I misunderstood?