From: "Timothy A. Holmes" <tholmes@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Remerge the system with gcc-4.1?
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 12:03:09
1 > And if you want to prevent compilation issues, applications crash,
2 > you'd better not follow the Gentoo GCC Upgrade Guide [1]
3 > and do not upgrade gcc at all... :-(
4 >
5 > Sorry for this sarcasm, but I am fighting with gcc-upgrade
6 > for more than week. If I knew there would be so many issues,
7 > I'd have never started upgrading gcc! Even complete reinstalling
8 > using new 2006.1 cd would be much easier...
9 >
10 > That "four line procedure" for gcc-upgrade in [1] looks
11 > quite simple, but they forgot to mention that finally
12 > you will end with "not-so-stable" system, as before.
13 > And that only if you will be lucky enough to reach
14 > the end of this upgrade-martyrium...
15 >
16 > Jarry
17 >
18 > > [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml
21 [Timothy A. Holmes]
22
23 I am leaving my office in a moment to put the 2006.1 disk in a server to
24 start a fresh build (it's a standby server and I can afford to have it
25 off line for a day or 2) specifically to avoid having to do the gcc4
26 upgrade. Ive done one so far and it took me 5 days and nearly cost me
27 my laptop -- and I followed the gentoo guide specifically. There has
28 GOT to be a better way. Sadly I cant take each of my servers offline to
29 do upgrade them this way -- some I will have to risk on the GCC upgrade,
30 but for now im avoiding it like the plague.
31
32 Tim
35 Timothy A. Holmes
36 IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher
37
38 Medina Christian Academy
39 A Higher Standard...
40