From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] making bootable USB
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 14:40:33
1 On Tuesday 02 September 2014 08:10:08 Joseph wrote:
2 > On 09/02/14 14:38, thegeezer wrote:
3 > >What actually happens when you try to boot ?
4 > >do you get any messages?
5 > >some bios will require you to specify usb boot device type of cdrom or
6 > >hard disk
7 > >do you have a press F11 for boot choices menu or similar?
8 > >it could be that you have usb cdrom selected as primary boot device, ide
9 > >disk as secondary and then "other removables" after this.
10 > >please confirm your bios boot orders
11 >
12 > Booting sequence is USB and HD. If I will not insert bootable USB it will
13 > boot from HD It works, as the bootable USB I created with Systemrescue CD
14 > script it worked. When I plug in the USB stick it boots from it.
15
16 Yes, I thought you'd say that. I think you have something odd in your BIOS,
17 which is objecting to (or not recognising) some feature of the various
18 bootable ISOs you put on that stick. Is it a very old BIOS? I remember you did
19 say it was an old machine.
20
21 You may simply have to accept that some things will boot, others not.
24 Regards
25 Peter