From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Verification of audio CD copy?
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2009 03:10:56
1 On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 8:59 AM, Paul
2 Hartman<paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 8:49 AM, Mark Knecht<markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> If I could build a mini-Gentoo environment in Cygwin and take
5 >> advantage of portage and emerge to get cdrtools then this might work
6 >> for me. I don't have the time or interest to become a real Cygwin-er.
7 >
8 > We're definitely getting off-topic for Gentoo now so if you have any
9 > more Cygwin-related questions you can feel free to email me off-list
10 > :) Cygwin is pretty simple. Just download setup.exe and run it, point
11 > it to a place where you want it to download and install, select the
12 > packages you want (such as normal tools like wget, and dev tools like
13 > gcc and anything else normally needed to compile programs -- it'll
14 > automatically select dependencies when you choose the main program),
15 > then click the icon to get a bash prompt and pretend you're in *nix.
16 > You now have the advantage of the familiar shell and familiar tools
17 > when you're in Windows. It is basically self-contained and I don't
18 > think it does anything to your computer other than when you explicitly
19 > run it. In the future run setup.exe and just keep clicking "next" and
20 > it'll download and install any updates for your installed packages.
21 > I've compiled big packages in Cygwin such as MySQL, wxWindows and Qt4
22 > and they worked fine.
23 >
24 > For fun I will try to insall cdrtools in cygwin now:
25 >
26 > "make" fails, so the readme suggests using smake instead, so I try
27 > that. First download, compile and install smake:
28 >
29 > 1. wget ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/smake/alpha/smake-1.2a41.tar.gz
30 > 2. tar zxvf smake-1.2a41.tar.gz
31 > 3. cd smake-1.2
32 > 4. make
33 > 5. make install
34 >
35 > That works. By default on my system it installs everything to /opt/schily/
36 >
37 > Then, same for cdrtools
38 > 1. wget ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/ALPHA/cdrecord-beta.tar.gz
39 > 2. tar zxvf cdrtools-beta.tar.gz
40 > 3. cd cdrtools-2.01.01
41 > 4. /opt/schily/bin/smake.exe
42 > 5. /opt/schily/bin/smake.exe install
43 >
44 > done... now cdrtools programs are in /opt/schily/bin/ (with .exe
45 > extension) and appear to work for me.
49 Thanks Paul. Great guidance! Worked pretty much first time around, but
50 still getting used to Cygwin.
51
52 OK, a CD that fails in the car and locked up under the Gentoo readcd
53 -c2scan passes -c2scan under Cygwin, although I still see some
54 complaints about part of the SCSI command set. NOTE: This is the same
55 machine that runs Gentoo dual-booted into XP and running Cygwin now,
56 so same exact hardware, different OD as Joerg requested:
57
58 Mark@gamer ~
59 $ /opt/schily/bin/readcd.exe dev=0,0,0 -c2scan
60 Read speed: 7056 kB/s (CD 40x, DVD 5x, BD 1x).
61 Write speed: 7056 kB/s (CD 40x, DVD 5x, BD 1x).
62 Capacity: 263932 Blocks = 527864 kBytes = 515 MBytes = 540 prMB
63 Sectorsize: 2048 Bytes
64 /opt/schily/bin/readcd: Input/Output error. mode select g1: scsi sendcmd: no err
65 or
66 CDB: 55 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 14 00
67 status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
68 Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 26 00 00 00 00 00
69 Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
70 Sense Code: 0x26 Qual 0x00 (invalid field in parameter list) Fru 0x0
71 Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
72 cmd finished after 0.001s timeout 40s
73 Copy from SCSI (0,0,0) disk to file '/dev/null'
75 addr: 263932 cnt: 44
76 Time total: 133.852sec
77 Read 681996.16 kB at 5095.2 kB/sec.
78 Total of 0 hard read errors.
79 C2 errors total: 0 bytes in 0 sectors on disk
80 C2 errors rate: 0.000000%
81 C2 errors on worst sector: 0, sectors with 100+ C2 errors: 0
82
83 Mark@gamer ~
84 $
85
86 None the less it passes without errors. I'm thinking this implies the
87 problem is the car's ability to read the CD and not what's on the CD
88 itself. That could be the player, or it could be the media. Since I'm
89 getting low on CD-R's I'll pick up a new spindle tomorrow. The
90 original CD-R was TDK which the car's player didn't have trouble with.
91 My copies were done on Maxell and most recently on some Office Depot
92 CD-Rs. I'll get a spindle of TDK tomorrow.
93
94 Always up for other interpretations as to what might be going on, and
95 also VERY interested in learning a good set of commands with cdrtools
96 to copy and write CD's without having to use k3b.
97
98 Cheers,
99 Mark