From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: soliciting a DHCP lease / carrier lost
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2017 20:56:54
1 Am Tue, 4 Apr 2017 14:28:23 -0600
2 schrieb thelma@×××××××××××.com:
3
4 > On 04/04/2017 10:02 AM, Mick wrote:
5 > > On Tuesday 04 Apr 2017 09:12:16 thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
6 > >> On 04/04/2017 01:26 AM, Mick wrote:
7 > [...]
8 > >
9 > [...]
10 > >
11 > > This may merely indicate they have been wired correctly (pin to
12 > > pin). Unless your tester is 'intelligent' to also measure things
13 > > like attenuation, DC loop resistance and cross talk and it can also
14 > > calculate attenuation to cross talk ratio, you cannot be sure your
15 > > cable will perform to specification.
18 > [...]
19 > >>
20 > >> Shouldn't CAT5 be able to handle 100m run?
21 > >> Am not sure I understand, "keep their runs separate from mains
22 > >> cables"?
23 > >
24 > > Cat5e should be able to perform as specified in lengths up to 100m,
25 > > when correctly terminated and without high cross talk. If your
26 > > ethernet cable installation is running parallel to mains power and
27 > > in close physical proximity, it may pick up noise, which will
28 > > reduce its performance. It is better where ethernet and mains runs
29 > > come together to cross them at 90 degrees angles to minimise the
30 > > effect of interference.
31 > >
32 > > Either way, you have lost carrier errors. Random google result on
33 > > causes of lost carrier errors, in case it helps:
34 > >
35 > > https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/9543606/what-causes-output-errors-ethernet-interface
36 >
37 > I have reconnected another cable and the unit in remote location
38 > works. Both cable have a good pinout but one is working and the other
39 > is not. Both cable are sunning inside wall (I presume same path).
40 > Without special tools/testing equipment it is hard to trace these
41 > problems.
42
43 You could try the problematic cable with only 100 MBit. If this works,
44 I'm pretty sure that some of the wires are broken or have incorrect
45 order. Keep in mind, tho, that the inverse assumption of such tests is
46 not true.
49 Regards,
50 Kai
51