From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] TPM feature - do I need it?
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 20:23:59
1 On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 2:53 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I'm looking to buy a new PC and while looking at FM2+ MoBos I saw ASUS offers
3 > one with a TPM feature. It also sells it as a separate component it seems:
4
5 I can't get that page to load, but I can't imagine that you could find
6 a motherboard that DIDN'T have a TPM that has been made anytime in the
7 last decade.
8
9 It doesn't tend to get a lot of use in the Linux world, though the
10 Chromebook would be a BIG exception there. In the corporate windows
11 world it gets very heavy use for full-disk encryption, and I think
12 Win7 supports this out of the box (though big companies tend to use
13 3rd party software).
14
15 Main uses for TPM include remote attestation, full-disk encryption
16 (without the need to type a boot password), and secure credential
17 storage only accessible via a trusted code path.
18
19 The Linux kernel has support for TPM, but if you want to use many of
20 the trusted boot features you need a bootloader that supports TPM.
21
22 The main downside with TPM with something like Gentoo is that if you
23 aren't careful you can make your keys inaccessible. I'd keep a copy
24 of the keys somewhere safe if you plan to use it for something like
25 full-disk encryption (and/or do regular backups). Otherwise if you
26 incorrectly update grub you might find your drive completely
27 inaccessible (if you're using a trusted boot path then you need to
28 update the TPM when you update your boot path or the chip will no
29 longer trust your grub/kernel/etc). The upside is that if you do it
30 right you retain full control over the encryption and your system will
31 be VERY hard to break into (without inside access - it is quite
32 possible folks like the NSA have a backdoor, but you'll be very safe
33 from more ordinary threats).
36 Rich