From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Delays while building Libre Office.
Date: Sat, 04 May 2013 10:13:26
1 Am 02.05.2013 18:27, schrieb Alan Mackenzie:
2 > Hi, Gentoo.
3 >
4 > I've just built libreoffice-3.6.6.2 and it took 2 hours 10 minutes on my
5 > 2.6 GHz quad core Athlon 2. It used to take about an hour.
6 >
7 > Watching the build, it became evident that the first 50 minutes or so
8 > was taken up by several hundred mkdir operations (more precisely, mkdir
9 > -p <long path>). Some of these mkdir's would take, perhaps, a minute to
10 > execute. All the while, top showed make taking 100% of one core.
11 >
12 > There seems to be something suboptimal here. Has anybody else seen
13 > this, or does anybody have any ideas how to fix the problem?
16 I'm seeing the same behavior here.
17 libreoffice-3.6.6.2 on a mostly stable system.
18 btrfs on lvm on dmcrypt on a hybrid disk.
19 kernel 3.7.5 pf-sources.
20
21 I don't think is has anything to do with the file system or hardware.
22 make is eating 200M memory and uses 100% CPU, not mkdir. I guess the
23 script is just buggy.
24
25 Regards,
26 Florian Philipp