From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] FAT/VFAT fs analyser ???
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 12:31:59
1 Hi Alan,
2
3 the problem is... :)
4
5 I own a iRiver T60 mp3 player, which uses the VFAT fs as
6 so many usbstick-like mass storage devices do.
7
8 It /seems/ (which is equivalent to "i dont know, whether..."),
9 that the sequence in which the songs are played depend
10 on the sequence they were entered into the VFAT. Whith
11 rsync I could manage to copy the files, which carry the
12 trackno as the the first two characters in their filename.
13 in alphabetically order onto the device.
14
15 So nice ... so good.
16 BUT:
17 In some rare cases the T60 insists in playing songs in
18 a different order.
19 Why ? No clue...
20
21 Another aspect of this is: If I will delete a couple of
22 files on the device and rsync some new, the previously freed
23 directory/VFAT entries will be occupied first, before new
24 ones will be used, which will screw up the playing order
25 totally.
26
27 Now I am looking for a VFAT editor and analyzer, which
28 permits me to explore and eventually -- if needed --
29 "hack" the VFAT into a different order, so that my
30 files will be played in the correct track order without
31 reformatting the device in whole for any delete/add file
32 action I want to do.
33
34 If there is anything outside there, which will help
35 me to manage this task ... it would be very nice!
36
37 Thank you very much for your help and time in advance!
38 Kind regards
39 mcc
42 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> [08-11-30 13:20]: