From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive error from SMART
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 17:22:40
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Sat, Apr 16, 2022 at 6:06 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >>> On Sat, Apr 16, 2022 at 3:53 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> <SNIP>
6 >>> Maybe this is a good excuse
7 >>>> to start working on a NAS. :/
8 >>> That's my vote. (For the second time)
9 >>>
10 >>> I'm using a FreeBSD Nas (TrueNAS) but they recently came out with a
11 >>> Linux version which you might be more comfortable with. If you use a
12 >>> 1Gb/S or higher network connection it's quite fast.
13 >>>
14 >>> You can also go the Synology route via Amazon. You can get a 2-disk
15 >>> NAS chassis which does RAID for around $250 last time I looked.
16 >>>
17 >>> Good luck whatever you do.
18 >>>
19 >>> Mark
20 >> Other than being another piece of equipment running up a light bill, it
21 >> is the best way to deal with this. The way I'm doing now is a bit of a
22 >> struggle at times. I just need to get other things done first, from a
23 >> money perspective which inflation isn't helping on. A trip to the
24 >> grocery story is no fun anymore.
25 >>
26 >> One of these days tho. I just gotta do it.
27 >>
28 >> Dale
29 > I hear you about groceries and inflation. Wol pushed me to build my
30 > first one just using an old computer. I had an old machine - case,
31 > power supply with a bad motherboard so I purchased an i3-2120 CPU @
32 > 3.30GHz motherboard with 8GB memory used at a computer store for $40.
33 > Surprisingly that's more than enough CPU & memory for basic backups.
34 > No matter what you're going to have to pay for the drives whether they
35 > go in your box, in external cases or in a backup machine.
36 >
37 > I only turn it on to do backups or to retrieve data so not much electricity.
42 I was wanting to have a NAS that also puts video on my TV.  That way I
43 can turn off my puter and still watch TV.  It would be as much a media
44 system as a NAS.  I have a mobo, ram and I think I have a extra video
45 card somewhere.  I'd need a case, power supply and such.  I'd also need
46 a place to put all this which is going to be interesting.  I'd want
47 plenty of hard drive bays tho.  I found a fractal 804 case that caught
48 my eye.  Can't recall all the details tho.
49
50 Still, needs money and right now, I got to many other coals in the
51 fire.  Plus, I'm trying to figure out this crypttab thing.  From what
52 I've read, it is for opening encrypted drives during boot up which is
53 not really what I want.  I can boot and login into my KDE without
54 anything encrypted being mounted.  Kinda like this new setup really.
55
56 I'll be so glad when fiber internet gets here.  I think I'm going with
57 the 500Mb/sec plan.  Costs about the same as my current 1.5Mb/sec plan.
58 lol
59
60 Dale
61