From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Now Know Why Portage Is So Slow
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 04:27:25
1 On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 23:50 -0300, Daniel da Veiga wrote:
2 > On 5/25/06, Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au> wrote:
3 > > On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 18:20 -0300, Daniel da Veiga wrote:
4 > >
5 > > > Anyway, the OP is using genkernel (wether it likes/knows it or not)...
6 > >
7 > > This doesn't look like genkernel:
10 > It doesn't have to look, he used the Gentoo installer, and so, it IS GENKERNEL.
11 >
12 > > > I loaded the configuration file from my
13 > > > old kernel and then just make && make install
14 > >
15 > > to use genkernel, you have to call genkernel. If he's typing make &&
16 > > make install, then he's just using the plain old kernel makefile.
17 >
18 > That if you do a manual install, the installer use it, or better, if
19 > you choose it will use the same kernel as the livecd, that is, voilá,
20 > genkernel. Try it, its pretty cool.
21
22 Yes, the initial install seems to be from the installer, which would
23 have used genkernel to build a kernel. BUT he then typed "make && make
24 install" himself, rebooted, and voila, he is not using genkernel any
25 more.
29 The first condition of immortality is death. -Stanislaw Lec
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list