From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Are "push" backups flawed?
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 07:20:09
1 On Tue, November 15, 2011 3:32 am, Grant wrote:
2 >> You identified a flaw in the system as you were using it. You're right,
3 >> those are flaws. However, you can " fix" those flaws by applying some
4 >> magic
5 >> as a sysadmin. That's why several posts in the thread have mentioned
6 >> versioning your backups in some fashion. I've mentioned lvm a couple
7 >> times.
8 >
9 > I thought versioning meant that you could roll back to a previous
10 > version. rdiff-backup provides that.
11
12 It's part of it.
13
14 >> I think someone else mentioned pulling the backup target's data to
15 >> another
16 >> locale, either via a pull from another server, or via something like a
17 >> traditional incremental tape backup.
18 >
19 > So the systems push to the backup server and a second backup server
20 > pulls from the first backup server? Should the second backup server
21 > use rdiff-backup against the rdiff-backup repository on the first
22 > backup server? I think I've read that's not a good idea.
23
24 Not sure, I don't use rdiff-backup. Am considering it for the desktops
25 once the new server is in place.
26
27 > What does everybody else do? I feel like the first person to ever
28 > attempt secure automated backups.
29
30 For more secure backups, you could use backup-utilities that support
31 incremental backups.
32 "dar" springs to mind. So do larger automated systems.
33
34 As my servers are all virtual machines running on Xen, I configured "pull"
35 style backups.
36
37 For the desktops, I am planning the following:
38 "rdiff-backup" (or similar) to push backups from the desktops to the
39 server. Adding hardlinks as already suggested for simple versioning.
40 The backup-script in the desktop will do 2 things:
41 1) rdiff-backup
42 2) instruct the backup-server to create the hardlinks with versioning
43
44 Then, at regular intervals, this will be backed up by "pull" from the
45 Host-domain on the server.
46
47 I don't see any chance to kill all my backups as the data will remain,
48 even when deleting the backup-directory of a desktop.
51 Joost