From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tone generator
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 23:15:23
1 On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 02:27:24PM -0800, maxim wexler wrote:
2 > >
3 > > ./a.out | play -t raw -s l -f s -c 1 -r 30000 -
4 > >
5 > > And you should get A-440 out of your speakers.
8 > eathen@localhost ~/docs/c-prog $ ./a.out |play -t raw
9 > -s l -f s -c 1 -r 3000 -
10 > play soxio: Failed reading `-': unknown file type
13 rate really wants to be 30000, or your note will have a
14 frequency off by a factor of 10. But that is not the problem here.
15
16 Perhaps revdep-rebuild or rebuilding sox by hand? Usually when sox is
17 having problems after you explicitly specify the file format (by -t
18 raw) that means you have some sort of linking error with your
19 libraries.
20
21 Hum, by any chance you are using sox-14.0.0? My desktop is still on
22 12.17.9 and has no problems, and a quick search suggests that the
23 unknown file type problem also affects Debian and other distros.
24
25 I will take a look using my laptop later tonight to see if it is a
26 problem with sox-14.0.0.
27
28 W
31 Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
32 408 Fine Hall, Department of Mathematics, Princeton University, Princeton
33 A mathematician's reputation rests on the number of bad proofs he has given.
34 --
35 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list