From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Scanner and weird streaking
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2022 19:04:38
1 On Friday, 30 December 2022 13:42:04 GMT Dale wrote:
2 > Michael wrote:
3 > > On Friday, 30 December 2022 02:28:32 GMT Dale wrote:
4 > >> Howdy all,
5 > >>
6 > >> I have a HP scanjet 4570c flatbed scanner. I bought it used years ago
7 > >> and most of the time, it works just fine. On occasion tho, I get
8 > >> something weird. When I scan something, it adds some pinkish colored
9 > >> streaks. I took a scrap sheet of paper and scanned the back of it. I
10 > >> used a magic marker on some text that was there, also drew a smiley face
11 > >> on it as well. Anyway, the side with print is on the opposite side.
12 > >> Basically, it is also seeing the back side of the paper. I'm not sure
13 > >> if that could cause this weird streaking but wanted to mention it.
14 > >
15 > > I've come across the pink hue artefact on an old HP scanner, but can't
16 > > recall the model. It is not related to the print of the opposite side
17 > > becoming visible, which is caused by a high light exposure setting. You
18 > > need to reduce the exposure to a level where you can see the primary
19 > > print clear enough, without the back side bleeding through.
20 >
21 > I kinda figure that. It is pretty bright. I don't recall seeing a
22 > setting for it but I may not have seen it. I mostly tried different
23 > color settings, resolution and such. Goes to show tho, it is
24 > sensitive. ;-)
25
26 If the scanner front end doesn't offer an exposure tweak, you could try post-
27 processing of the scanned image using Gimp, or some other image editing
28 software. Reduce exposure until the reverse side print dissipates, while the
29 front remains clear enough.
30
31 Alternatively, on a simpler set of controls playing with brightness and
32 contrast could get you close enough.
35 > >> At first, I thought it was something on the glass so I disassembled the
36 > >> thing and cleaned it as best as I could. When I put it back together, I
37 > >> concentrated on the back side of the glass, since I have to disassemble
38 > >> it to clean it. I also clean the side the document goes on regularly.
39 > >> If it changed, I can't tell it. Another odd thing, the streaks change
40 > >> depending on the document. Sometimes you can barely see it, other times
41 > >> it is awful. I've not been able to reason out what makes the difference
42 > >> tho.
43 > >
44 > > Cleaning the glass won't affect the pink hue. I dismantled the scanner
45 > > and
46 > > cleaned the glass too, with no improvement.
47 > >
48 > >> I've got about the same results using Scanlite, Scanpage and XSane
49 > >> software. XSane may be a tiny bit better but it does vary at times.
50 > >> There's not a lot of settings available. I tend to use either 100dpi or
51 > >> 300 dpi for resolution thingy. I fiddled around a bit but it doesn't
52 > >> seem to help. This is a link to the page I described above. It's a
53 > >> little sizey so I didn't want to attach, for those who have email
54 > >> clients that puke a lot. lol
55 > >>
56 > >> https://freeimage.host/i/HTQLpWb
57 > >>
58 > >> You may notice that it is a little heavier at the top and gets lighter
59 > >> as it goes down. I've checked the glass, I can't find anything that
60 > >> would cause this. Is my scanner just going bad? Am I doing something
61 > >> wrong with a setting or something? Any ideas? Thoughts?
62 > >
63 > > The pink hue is probably due to the scanner bar going bad. Some fixes,
64 > > which did not work in my case, are as follows:
65 > >
66 > > 1. Reset internal chipset: Plug it in, switch it on, then pull the power
67 > > lead, followed by the USB. Wait for a minute or longer to discharge, then
68 > > reconnect, power on and try to see if the problem is fixed.
69 > >
70 > > 2. Overheating: More of a problem in the summer. Use a desk fan while
71 > > operating to see if it makes a difference.
72 > >
73 > > If none of the above work, then the scanner bar needs replacing. Probably
74 > > time for a new scanner, unless you can find a donor scanner for the
75 > > scanner
76 > > bar.
77 >
78 > Well, bummer. I was afraid it was going bad. I knew it moved the light
79 > thing back and forth and all but know there is a lot more to it than
80 > that. If it was a consistent streak, I'd think a bad CCD or whatever
81 > that chip that grabs the image is called nowadays. This tho, wasn't
82 > looking like that.
83 >
84 > I may disassemble it again and check all the cables. Disconnect and
85 > reconnect everything and hope for a bad or lose connection. Now let us
86 > pray.
87
88 The pink hue is visible signal noise captured in the image. This may be
89 internal, the scanner sensor is drifting outside its spec, or it could be some
90 external source. Do you always use the scanner in the same position on your
91 desk, or does it give different results depending on location? Strong
92 electromagnetic interference may exacerbate the problem.
95 > Given I only use Linux, know of any good and commonly available flatbed
96 > scanner models? I'm fine with used ones as long as they work. I like
97 > the one I got since when I'm done, it stands upright in my closet and
98 > takes up very little floor space. It does a really good job. I've even
99 > scanned in pictures and they looked good, when it wasn't doing the
100 > streak thing.
101 >
102 > Thanks.
103 >
104 > Dale
105 >
107
108 I only have a very old 23 year old CanoScan N650U flat bed scanner with just
109 one button on it! It has worked faithfully for years with no problems, but my
110 scanning needs are simple.
111
112 In case you are looking for used items on ebay, beware what you're buying may
113 be in a worse state than what you are trying to replace. Business clearance
114 items can prove to be a bargain, but without testing in your environment you
115 can't be sure.