From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Enable "regular" network traffic when using VPN
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 21:07:47
1 On 06/11/2018 02:51 PM, Mick wrote:
2 > As I understand it, the CGN router will rewrite the IP headers and ports from/
3 > to the SOHO router using PCP. This is not a TCP-over-TCP tunnel.
4
5 The VPN could be TCP based and it could be sending TCP through it. Yes,
6 the potential pitfalls of TCP-in-TCP may apply.
7
8 Just because it's sub-optimal doesn't mean that it won't work.
9
10 > Outgoing connections will be OK, but to run a local server I believe you'll
11 > need to set up an external 'rendezvous server' to facilitate incoming
12 > connections, since the double NAT'ed local server will not have a public
13 > facing IP address.
14
15 The NATed server doesn't need a globally routed IP if there is port
16 forwarding in place. Such is possible, all be it unlikely, with
17 multiple layers of NAT.
18
19 I still think the OP was talking about (multiple layers of) NAT at his
20 end and connecting to a VPN server at his office that had a globally
21 routed IP address.
22
23 Besides, the OP did state that he was able to connect and that traffic
24 did flow bidirectionally through the VPN.
25
26 > I'm trying to recall what I was thinking when I wrote this ... SSH reverse
27 > tunneling? Not sure. Outgoing VPN connections *should* work fine, incoming
28 > won't.
29
30 Incoming VPN connections can be made to work. They will require
31 significantly more effort and cooperation of the NAT administrators.
32
33 Besides, this is outside of the OP's use case.
34
35 > I've tried that and couldn't get it to work - for reasons I explained below.
36
37 I've lost what your referring to there.
38
39 > Yes, in these cases you have to use different ports and set port forwarding
40 > per client.
41
42 Not all VPN protocols have the concept of ports and as such can't use
43 different ports.
48 Grant. . . .
49 unix || die