From: Dirk Heinrichs <ext-dirk.heinrichs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] root (/) read-only?
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 06:35:31
1 Am Dienstag, 27. September 2005 06:58 schrieb ext dave waddelove:
2 > Hey guys,
3 >
4 > Quite often if I leave my computer on for a few hours, I come back and
5 > try to do something and I find that my system has all of a sudden changed
6 > from rw to ro on my root partition... Has anyone else experienced this?
7
8 Check your filesystem. Linux will remount filesystems ro if it finds any
9 errors.
10
11 > One thing I noticed is that I get an error message upon sstartup about
12 > not being able to find fsck.xfs upon startup for /dev/hda4 (my root
13 > partition).
14
15 Install it, asap. But before, boot into a LiveCD and fsck.xfs /dev/hda4 from
16 there.
17
18 > could this have anything to do with it? I am running into a
19 > lot of problems beacuse of this since a lot of programs rely on writing
20 > tmp files to /tmp on my root partition. A lot of programs freeze or crap
21 > out and I have to do a hard reboot, which I know will cause a problem one
22 > of these days....
23
24 Make /tmp a seperate filesystem (if you have enough ram, you could use
25 tmpfs).
26
27 HTH...
28
29 Dirk
30 --
31 Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
32 Configuration Manager | Fax: +49 (0)211 47068 111
33 Capgemini Deutschland | Mail: dirk.heinrichs@×××××××××.com
34 Hambornerstraße 55 | Web: http://www.capgemini.com
35 D-40472 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733
36 GPG Public Key C2E467BB | Keyserver: www.keyserver.net