From: Francesco Talamona <francesco.talamona@××××.eu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Use split to break up a 10GB file binary?
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 08:05:01
1 On Monday 20 June 2011, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 10:25 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
3 wrote:
4 > > Hi,
5 > > Is split an appropriate program to use to break a single 10GB
6 > > file into 100 100MB files to transfer over the net using rsync,
7 > > and then use cat to reassemble?
8 >
9 > I think it should work just fine. I've split huge files into huge
10 > chunks and never had any issues.
11 >
12 > > Is there some better way to do this?
13 >
14 > I wonder if splitting is even necessary; rsync will analyze the file
15 > and only transmit the differences, right?. So I'd think that even if
16 > the transfer fails, a retry would pick up where it left off (assuming
17 > rsync keeps the failed copy).
18 >
19 > Also check out net-misc/unison. It seems to be designed for just this
20 > sort of thing.
21
22 Unison is wonderful for more complex tasks but is very inefficient with
23 large files. As a matter of fact it uses rsync algorithm in order to get
24 good performance, still isn't the best choice in this scenario, see:
25 http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/download/releases/stable/unison-
26 manual.html#speeding
27
28 I keep in sync the user home across two computer, and I use both of them
29 daily. It would be impossible without unison, but the 20GB virtual
30 machine is excluded from the sync.
31
32 Cheers
33 Francesco
36 Linux Version 2.6.39-gentoo-r1, Compiled #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jun 9
37 11:20:57 CEST 2011
38 Two 1GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Processors, 4GB RAM, 4021.84 Bogomips Total
39 aemaeth