From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Your opinion on jpeg encoders, please
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2021 21:37:54
1 Hi all,
2
3 this is not really a Gentoo-specific question, but some of you know your way
4 around stuff, so here goes.
5
6 When I edit photos, I like to shrink and recompress them to save on space,
7 but not mangle them too much in the process to lose quality. So for average
8 images I tend to use a quality setting between 80 and 86, very bad shots
9 such as defocussed or blurred ones just 70. And for the really good ones
10 (crystal sharp, portraits, extraordinary motives etc) 90 and more.
11
12 In the far past I’ve been using Gimp, but for some years now mostly Showfoto
13 (the editor from Digikam) due to its more useful photo enhancement features.
14
15 However I noticed that the latter procuces larger files for the same quality
16 setting. So currently, I first save with a very high setting from Showfoto
17 and then recompress the whole directory in a one-line-loop using
18 imagemagick’s convert. I have the impression that it produces far smaller
19 files at the same visual quality.
22 Now I know that one can’t fully compare quality settings of different
23 encoders, but it started me wondering: which is really “better”? Or maybe
24 just a little more enhanced, or up-to-date from an algorithmic standpoint?
25
26 Just because many distros and tools use libjpeg, that doesn’t mean it’s the
27 best one out there. Gimp, showfoto and convert use different encoders,
28 because compressing the same PNG with the same JPEG setting does not result
29 in three identical files.
30
31 Does any of you have an opinion on that matter?
32 Cheers.
35 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
36 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
37
38 What do you call a man with a seagull on his head? – Cliff.