From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Last rites: app-admin/gkrellm & plugins
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 16:10:23
1 On 1/28/23 05:35, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Saturday, 28 January 2023 09:17:35 GMT Michael wrote:
3 >
4 >> Since my coding ability is even worse than Dale's I join him in kindly
5 >> asking for a maintainer/dev to take it on and keep it running.
6 > I too am finding it hard to imagine life without gkrellm. I think it needs more
7 > than just a maintainer though - it needs a replacement for upstream as well.
8
9 I"m actually the one who first heard that the original maintainer had
10 died.  (I had written to him about some support issue, and got a belated
11 reply from his brother.)  Upstream is not dead at all, the activity
12 level is just fairly low.  I tried to post to -dev, but my message never
13 got through, not sure if it's because I'm not a dev or I made some other
14 error in sending.  The homepage is at htttps://gkrellm.srcbox.net with
15 source at https://git.srcbox.net/gkrellm/gkrellm.
16
17 The main problem is that is still uses gtk+2.  They do have an open
18 issue about that, but most of the discussion has been on why it would be
19 so hard to upgrade.  There is apparently a lot of fairly low-level
20 graphics stuff going on, and Bill himself (the original maintainer) said
21 something like the conversion to gkt+3 would be difficult, but to go to
22 gtk+4 (I have no idea how far off this is) would essentially be a re-write.
23
24 Jack