From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] List of Intel CPUs that wont get Meltdown/Spectre fixes
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2018 16:34:39
1 On Thursday, 5 April 2018 10:20:59 BST Adam Carter wrote:
2 > https://newsroom.intel.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2018/04/microcode-upd
3 > ate-guidance.pdf
4 >
5 > From
6 > https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/04/04/intel_spectre_microcode_updates/
7 >
8 > "The new guidance
9 > <https://newsroom.intel.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2018/04/microcode-up
10 > date-guidance.pdf>, issued April 2, adds a “stopped” status to Intel’s
11 > “production status” category in its array of available Meltdown and Spectre
12 > <https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/04/intel_amd_arm_cpu_vulnerability/>
13 > security updates. "Stopped" indicates there will be no microcode patch to
14 > kill off Meltdown and Spectre."
15 >
16 > " "Stopped" CPUs that won’t therefore get a fix are in the Bloomfield,
17 > Bloomfield Xeon, Clarksfield, Gulftown, Harpertown Xeon C0 and E0, Jasper
18 > Forest, Penryn/QC, SoFIA 3GR, Wolfdale, Wolfdale Xeon, Yorkfield, and
19 > Yorkfield Xeon families. The new list includes various Xeons, Core CPUs,
20 > Pentiums, Celerons, and Atoms – just about everything Intel makes.
21 >
22 > Most the CPUs listed above are oldies that went on sale between 2007 and
23 > 2011"
24
25 Thanks for updating the gentoo-user M/L on this topic Adam.
26
27 Does the lack of a microcode patch mean the in-kernel and other software fixes
28 won't be sufficient to protect PCs running these old CPUs? I'm asking because
29 I have a couple of old laptops I was hoping to get more mileage out of, at
30 least until new generation CPUs become available. Preferably NOT Intel's.
33 Regards,
34 Mick