From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Making a bootable USB flash drive from ISO image
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2014 15:20:10
1 Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:
5 > I was also wrong in stating I use isohybrid for the LXFDVDs. I used to
6 > but since switching to using GRUB to boot the DVDs, there is no need for
7 > it. GRUB bootable DVD ISOs can boot from USB sticks by default.
8
9 Neil,
10
11 Can you elaborate? For example how do you know a given *.iso* is grub
12 bootable? It there a test? Is there a list? Just burn it to a usbstick
13 and test? Justuse a tool such as the aforementioned "isohybrid" can convert
14 any *.iso* to a grub bootable? I like the idea of one image (iso) being
15 able to install via MBR or grub.
18 How do you control the file system; set it up first on the target HDD/SDD?
19 Which tool do you use, as part of the usb package? gptfdisk (gdisk)?
20
21 > That must be a UEFI bootable disc. ISOs can have all sorts of strange
22 > setups
23
24 Your telling me? So when did the gentoo liveDVD become "grub bootable" ?
25 Again, How do you know what a given images is capable, as the details of
26 so many seem to poor--> 2----> undocumented......?
27
28 Have you ever tried "pentoo-installer" off of a live gentoo dvd ?
29 with any usb iso?
32 curiously,
33 James